gear drive cover difference

noiraude

hi all!
could someone tell me if switching from a KB/DONOVAN gear drive to an RCD with the built in front bearing support moves the crank pulley mounting surface away a lot from the engine block?
thanks for any infos
cyril

greenracing

I ran one of the bearing support covers many years ago, so going on memory, so those with current experience can correct me if I'm wrong... You turn the blower pulley around so that it goes over the bearing support, then the pulley lines up in the same place as a standard hub.

Z06

The RCD front bearing gear drive cover moves the pulley out 1.5" verses the RCD short hub and 1.22" verses the RCD long hub. It is designed to use the center flange pulley. I just finished adapting one onto a KB Olds gear drive cover and milled a "used" Hemi Titanium bearing support hub out to the BBC size and recut the keyways. Keeps the front of the engine clear of all the clutter.

Z06

Yes, found the Titanium hub on ITA.com (thanks Will!) for a great price and got the bearing housing from RBS. Milled front cover and a 5" dia billet alum round to light press fit and welded/final machine. Hub had to be machined on lathe to BBC size then honed and rework keyways. Grade 9 Automan bolt and machined down washer to fit and it's bullet proof.

Attachments

• KB Olds bearing support gear drive.jpg
    KB Olds bearing support gear drive.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 19